Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Sorting Pixar Characters into Hogwarts Houses


Image result for sorting hat

There was this SuperCarlinBrothers video recently where they sorted Pixar characters into Hogwarts houses and it was the best thing ever, so I’ve decided to try it for myself. 

I picked most of the main characters, but also I included some supporting characters and excluded a few of the main ones simply because I couldn't make a decision. For the most part I just went for it on my own, but there are moments when I quote the SuperCarlinBrothers directly because they just articulated it so well.



Toy Story

Buzz Lightyear: Gryffindor 
This feels obvious. Bravery is absolutely Buzz’s #1 defining characteristic.

Woody: Slytherin
This one was hard for me, definitely harder than Buzz. I originally thought Hufflepuff, because Woody is incredibly loyal to Andy, but then I remembered how little convincing it takes in Toy Story 2 to convince him to leave all his friends behind and run away to a museum in Japan. I think Woody’s loyalty to Andy is better defined as ambition to be Andy’s favorite. 

A Bug's Life

Flik: Hufflepuff
I also considered Ravenclaw because he's always inventing things which feels like something a Ravenclaw would do, but I decided that really his defining characteristic is his dedication to the cause.

Monster's Inc.

Mike Wazowski: Ravenclaw
I pretty much went back and forth between all four houses on this one. Mike is very loyal to Sulley in Monster’s Inc., but in Monster’s University, he’s not particularly loyal to anyone. He only joins Oozma Kappa so he can participate in the games and win for himself. So then I had to take into consideration his ambition to succeed, and also how one of the main messages of Monster’s University is that Mike isn’t scary, but he is brave. I was pretty much between Ravenclaw and Slytherin but I decided that his hard work and studying are really what allowed him to succeed, so I stuck with Ravenclaw.

Sulley: Slytherin
Sulley is absolutely not a Ravenclaw like Mike. And for similar reasons as my reasoning with Mike, he cannot be a Hufflepuff. Which leaves us with Gryffindor and Slytherin. I chose Slytherin because he pretty much relies on the past success of his family to succeed in Monster’s University. To be honest, I think I get more of a Gryffindor vibe from both of them in Monster’s Inc. and their college years were more fun to work with. 

Finding Nemo

Nemo: Gryffindor
Nemo swims away into the ocean to prove to his dad that he is brave. His bravery is like the entire plot of the movie. In Finding Dory Nemo is very loyal to Dory, which is also important to consider, but I’m going to stick with Gryffindor.

Marlin: Hufflepuff
Marlin is not brave. He is not ambitious. He is not particularly intelligent. Honestly he’s not really that loyal either, but I can give him patience. He has to be a Hufflepuff, it’s the only way.

Dory: Hufflepuff
I had to put Dory in Hufflepuff because she just works so hard and does her best and is loyal even though she can’t remember anything. She’s just so pure.

The Incredibles

The entire Incredible family: Gryffindor
They’re superheroes. I’d have a hard time placing them anywhere else.

Edna Mode: Ravenclaw
It's all that fancy tech and stuff she's got going on. I have to say Ravenclaw.

Cars

Lightning McQueen: Slytherin
Lightning's story is pretty much about how badly he wants to succeed and everything he goes through just to win and be back in the spotlight. 

Mater: Hufflepuff
Again, obvious. Mater's character only exists to be Lightning's most loyal friend. He is "loyal to a fault", according to the SuperCarlinBrothers and I agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

Ratatouille

Remy: Slytherin
Remy is all about ambition. He just wants to be the best ever. That's his whole story.

Linguini: Hufflepuff
He's not particularly ambitious, or brave, or knowledgeable. He's just trying to do his thing.

WALL-E

WALL-E: Hufflepuff
The entire movie is the story of WALL-E chasing the love of his life. I mean who's more loyal and hard-working than WALL-E? 

UP

Carl: Hufflepuff 
This one didn't feel right at first, but really Carl's loyalty to Ellie is what drives his every move. 

Russell: Hufflepuff
He just wants to be friends with everyone. 

Dug: Hufflepuff
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you." -Dug
A defining characteristic of dogs in general is that they are loyal.

Brave

Merida: Gryffindor
“The movie is called Brave.” Well said. 

Inside Out

Joy: Gryffindor
I had a hard time with this one because it's hard to categorize an emotion this way. Joy is ambitious and will do anything to make Riley happy. She also works incredibly hard at this. But I think in the end her bravery is what defines her the most.

Sadness: Hufflepuff
I just couldn't really place her anywhere else. 

The Good Dinosaur

Arlo: Gryffindor
I feel like The Good Dinosaur is pretty much just a classic story of a hero who learns to be brave and save the day. That kind of classic character just has to be Gryffindor.

Coco

Miguel: Slytherin
Again with the ambition. He's ready to do whatever he takes to become a musician. He does however eventually learn to be loyal to his family, but initially he is not that way. He just wants to succeed.

Hector: Hufflepuff
Hector just wants to see his family again. I also considered Slytherin or Gryffindor but really in the end it's his family that he values most.



Thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment