Saturday, February 4, 2023

Coloring Day 2

 I started my day back in Karen Sue Chen's Secret Worlds  because there was a page in there that was a bowl of ramen and the way the ramen noodles were coming out of the steam clouds made me think of rainbows and I really wanted to make rainbow noodles. So I did.


And I thought it looked really cool, but I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do with the rest of the page, so I did something I never imagined I would be able to do, and I put it aside, and colored something else instead. I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, but I am very proud of myself.

So then I colored another page in the same book that was a little circus scene inside of a cupcake, and I used wild and bright colors and it was really fun but it looks pretty crazy now that it's completed. I'm not going to include the photo because it's not that important because then, my colored pencils and my new coloring books arrived. 

I decided to test my colored pencils in a new book that I was particularly excited about, Mein Frühlingsspaziergang by Rita Berman. (That's German for "My Spring Walk/Stroll" if you were wondering). The art in this book really appealed to me and she also has the other seasons, as well as a few other books. I chose the Spring one because even though it's technically still Winter, Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow which in Minnesota means "only six more weeks of Winter!" and I'd rather look ahead to Spring than focus on Winter. If this hyperfixation lasts, I do hope to get the other seasons books by this artist because I really like this one. But anyways.

I decided to test my colored pencils on this page in Rita Berman's book that had a bunch of beetles on it because it felt like the kind of page where I could use as many colors as possible. I ordered a set of 120 colored pencils by Kalour and the set came with a pre-labeled swatch sheet so I wanted to use as many colors as I could and swatch them as I went. 


I've always been resistant to adult coloring books in the past, partially just because I'm not a colored pencil person. I've never liked them, and definitely preferred coloring with crayons over any other medium, and the spaces in most adult coloring books are just too little for my crayons. I will say, that the experience of using a colored pencil that is of higher quality than the box of golf pencil sized Crayolas I had been using before is way more pleasant. So that's good. I do still prefer the markers though just because it's faster and I'm impatient, but some pages have too much detail even for the fine tip markers, and some of them (like this one) have double sided pages so if I used markers, the ink would bleed through. 

Also, this coloring book is smaller than I thought it would be at about 8''x8'', but honestly I like it more that way because it feels way more manageable than some of the larger detailed books that I will get to one of these days. 

So anyways, coloring day 2 was a success and I can't wait to see what day 3 brings! 


No comments:

Post a Comment