Friday, June 14, 2019

Goosebumps book 10: The Ghost Next Door - There's a strange new kid on the block...

Brief Summary: 

There's a new boy next door and Hannah thinks he could be a ghost for a lot of reasons that I won't get into here because it would not be brief in any way. 

Spoilers and Review:

I already knew going into this one that Hannah would turn out to be the ghost because I accidentally saw a spoiler about it at some point recently so it could just be that I already knew what to look for, but it seemed pretty obvious to me where this book was going. I don't have a lot to say here because this book was mostly just Hannah writing really mean letters to her friend Janey and following the boy next door, Danny, around and spying on him because she immediately drew some crazy conclusions that he must be a ghost for no real reason at all. 

I will say that it was a lot darker than I expected it to be. I thought the twist where she finds out she's the ghost would be at the very end, but instead it came with like 30 pages left to go and then she had to run into a burning building to save her new friend because his stupid friends accidentally caused a house fire. I mean in the end Hannah was in a crazy standoff with a hooded figure trying to murder a kid and take his place or form or some nonsense and it got wild.

Then the part at the end when she goes "home" to be with her family, I mean it's solidly dark, but definitely not my favorite. I prefer the stories that are either super unique and creative, or have the craziest twists, and this one seemed to miss the mark on both of those things unfortunately. 

The Rating: 

This was the 10th Goosebumps book that I've read on this journey so I'm going to take the opportunity to rearrange my current ranking a bit. Most of them will stay at least somewhat the same, but there are a few adjustments I would like to make towards the middle range and also the more I think about it, the more I believe Welcome to Dead House deserves to be moved up. 
  1. Night of the Living Dummy (#7)
  2. Welcome to Camp Nightmare (#9)
  3. Stay Out of the Basement (#2)
  4. Say Cheese and Die! (#4)
  5. The Girl Who Cried Monster (#8)
  6. Welcome to Dead House (#1)
  7. Let's Get Invisible! (#6)
  8. The Ghost Next Door (#10)
  9. Monster Blood (#3)
  10. The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (#5)
#11 is The Haunted Mask which I've heard is the best Goosebumps book there is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment