Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Goosebumps book 14: The Werewolf of Fever Swamp - Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf?

Brief Summary: 

I don't know, something about moving to Florida because of swamp deer and then some werewolf stories and a swamp hermit and a stray dog or whatever.

Spoilers and Review:


So Grady moves to Florida with his family because his parents are scientists (classic) and are trying to introduce swamp deer (a real animal, I Googled it) into Florida swamps. Obviously. 

I'm just going to run through the highlights real quick. First of all, the swamp hermit is my favorite character, he's the best. He's just an old guy who lives in a shack in the swamp and lives off the land and at one point just to scare them chases them around and yells, "I'm the werewolf! I'm the werewolf!" which is honestly horrifying, he's my hero. 

There is a dog in this book and he saves the day several times and we love him. I love dogs. Bonus points because he didn't even die, though the scariest part of the book for sure is when Grady's dad thinks Wolf the dog killed a bunny and one of his precious swamp deer and tries to take the poor thing to the pound and it is implied that he would be euthanized. He got away though, don't worry.

Then there is this really scary part where Grady gets bitten by a snake and all but blacks out in the middle of the swamp. That was also in my top moments. 

Overall, I was intrigued by the swamp fever stories and the swamp hermit was amazing but there was not that much werewolf to be honest. 

But then, get this, in the end, the swamp hermit isn't even the werewolf, it's Will the neighbor boy! I won't lie, I did not see that coming at all but probably should have. I still enjoyed the twist. 

And a beautiful cover, one of my favorites so far. Honestly I should make a separate ranking of just the covers.


The Rating: 

I obviously still enjoyed it because I can't help myself, I love all of them. 

  1. Welcome to Camp Nightmare (#9)
  2. Night of the Living Dummy (#7)
  3. Stay Out of the Basement (#2)
  4. The Haunted Mask (#11)
  5. The Girl Who Cried Monster (#8)
  6. Piano Lessons Can Be Murder (#13)
  7. Welcome to Dead House (#1)
  8. Say Cheese and Die! (#4)
  9. Let's Get Invisible! (#6)
  10. The Werewolf of Fever Swamp (#14)
  11. The Ghost Next Door (#10)
  12. Monster Blood (#3)
  13. Be Careful What You Wish For... (12)
  14. The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (#5)
#15 is You Can't Scare Me which as usual, could mean anything. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment